QSMC welcomes to the team, Michael Dalgleish (The Golf Athlete)
QSMC is so excited to welcome to the Bowen Hills team, the well-renowned Sports and Exercise Physiotherapist, Michael Dalgleish! Michael has been in the physiotherapy industry for over 40 years, formerly located at Optima Sports Medicine Centre. When he is not in the clinic, he is travelling the world with Nationals Golf Associations, PGAs and Professional Golfers.
As well as working as a Sports and Exercise Physiotherapist, Michael has developed his brand called the Golf Athlete. To get to know Michael better, we sat down with him and asked a few questions…keep reading to find out more.
What does The Golf Athlete entail?
- long term player development
- functional training for golfers
- physical deficiencies and their effect on swing technique
- athletic profiling
- physical and technical screening and remedial actions
- periodisation modelling for golfers.
In your experience what are the most common injuries and how do they differ between social golfers and the professionals?
A number of factors have increased the incidence of thoracic spine injuries and lumbar spine pain in both groups in the last 20 years. These include:
- The change in swing technique
- Practice habits (structure of practice – too much block practice, too much long game, driving range vs grass etc)
- Hours practising (especially episodic or up and down volumes/frequency and intensity)
- Equipment (poorly fitting or incorrect)
- Swing technique (less than optimal and certain swing faults link closely to certain injuries)
- Hitting the ground or something buried (in amateurs much more than in professionals)
These are just a few common causes of injuries in golf athletes.
What is your personal favourite sport?
There is no surprise here that golf is my personal favourite sport. I also enjoy staying physically fit with running, cycling and regular workouts in the gym (light of course now compared to the 20s and 30s). I also played cricket, hockey and tennis at a pretty reasonable level as a junior.
Michael is available at our Bowen Hills clinic and online appointments can be made here.